June 7th Meeting Summary
- The Role of the Massachusetts Academy of Sciences In A Higher Education and K-12 Partnership by MAS President Dr. Margaret Riley
- A Foundation for the Future: Massachusetts' Plan for Excellence in STEM Education: State STEM Plan by David Cedrone, Associate Commissioner, Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
- The Voice of K-12 by of STEM Advisory Council member Isa Zimmerman.
A panel discussion on “How Can K-12 and Higher Education Work Together To Recruit, Retain, and GraduateSTEM Students?” followed offering insight on the roles played of teachers, community colleges and universities to promote an STEM graduates in Massachusetts.
- Increase Student Interest in STEM
- Increase PreK-12 Student Achievement in STEM; Increase the Percentage of Students Who Demonstrate Readiness for College Level Study in STEM Fields
- Increase the Number of Students Who Graduate From a Post-Secondary Institution With a Degree in STEM
- Increase the Number of PreK-16 STEM Classes Led by Effective Teachers
Call from Bryan
I am looking for fellow industry researchers (all disciplines welcome) that have an interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Education and would like to participate in a workshop in Sturbridge, MA on June 7th. The goal of this workshop is to bring together Higher Education STEM faculty (research scientists/engineers, education researchers, and educators), with representatives from STEM industries, K12 teachers, and not-for-profit organizations. Discussions will focus on how your unique skills and expertise can best be employed to create effective and sustainable partnerships and processes aimed at improving STEM education in the Commonwealth. I will be part of a workshop that will focus on how industry can be a partner to help with these initiatives.
If this is something that interests you, please let me know. Please email me: your name, email address, phone number, your company’s name, and your job title.
For more information about Program Engage, see: http://massacademysciences.org/project-engage
Bryan W. Vought, Ph.D.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated
Research Scientist II
130 Waverly St
Cambridge, MA 02139